Insect frass is an organic fertiliser. Unlike bat guano or wormcasts, frass comes entirely from herbivore insects; this means you are essentially feeding back digested plants to your plants making it a perfect, well-rounded form of plant food. Not only this; it contains large quantities of chitin!
The importance of Chitin
Chitin is a naturally occurring molecule that is found in the shells of crustaceans like lobsters and crabs, as well as the exoskeletons of insects. Chitin’s benefit to plants is that it causes them to be fortified from their cell walls out. It also seems to make the plant resistant to powdery mildew, late and early blights, botrytis, and certain root rots as well as root nematodes.
The presence of chitin triggers plants to think that insects are eating them, causing them to build up their cell walls and release natural insect toxins as a defense.
Benefits of using this product
Because insect frass is made entirely from digested plants, it’s full of the nutrients that plants require to grow robustly. Plus, millions of beneficial microbes from the guts of insects.
Chitin triggers the immune systems of plants causing them to rev up and defend themselves against predators like root-feeding nematodes and disease pathogens in the soil.
Unlike other 'certified' frass (where the insects are farmed for the reptile and pet industry), there are no residues of pupating inhibitors and/ or growth hormones in our frass.
- Total Nitrogen (N) .....2%
- Phosphorous (P) ........2%
- Potassium (K) .............2%
- All our packaging is plastic free: instead we use paper, cardboard and plant-based plastics with rubber adhesives: it's therefore 100% home compostable.
- Our 400ml package is specifically designed to fit through your letterbox so you won't have to worry about missed deliveries (and you benefit from competitive postage pricing!)